Friday 15 February 2013

I Rely on the Kindness of Strangers

This is my value study

I think it is pretty good for 18 minutes work time
Then I came across Liz Wiltzen's value study

Hers made so much more sense then mine, a definite distinction between darks and lights   (I did ask permission to post it and this is what she said: "Hi Suzy, you are welcome to post my image if you link it back to my blog post with a name credit. Thanks so much for asking  :-)"
Doesn't she sound nice.  I would love to take a course with her but she says you have to go up stairs and tolerate a golden.  The stairs I can take but the golden might be a problem - who can paint when there is a golden to play with.

This is actual blog post
http://lizwiltzen.blogspot.ca/2011/10/still-life-value-study-6x6-demo-couple.html
I am not sure what she means by a name credit and I feel stupid asking so I am just going to say her name again "Liz Wiltzen" and here is her web site http://mountainartist.com/.  Doesn't mountain artist sound so much better then artist in the basement in the suburbs.
This is the value study without mixing.

 I like her method because it makes you determine where the lights are, the darks etc. which should make it easier to translate to colour

I then painted the subject with  the Zorn palette (yellow ochre, cadmium red, black and white)
Thank you Liz
I am going to do it again tomorrow


No comments:

Post a Comment