Thursday 14 January 2016

Day 14 Frankly My Dear

I have a confession to make.  In the days before internet, facebook, email and short attention spans, I was a ferocious reader.  In Grade 6, I read Gone with the Wind.  In high school, in grade 8 our history teacher asked us why Great Britain supported the south?  I was the only one to raise my hand and answered "because of the cotton".  He thought I was brilliant.   I was knowledgeable, smart and I actually raised my hand.  I never had the heart to tell him I learnt it from a fiction book.

While no Cary Grant,  Clark Gable  comes a close second.  Don't you wish you could be as witty in it Happened one Night?

Frankly My Dear

Hattie McDaniel won an Academy Award for her portrayal of the black maid.   Ironically she could not attend the premiere in Atlanta because the theatre was segregated. Leslie Howard didn't attend the premiere, he returned to England to serve in British Intelligence and was killed in action.  Do you remember Carol Burnett spoof?   You won't be able to watch the original without laughing at the curtain scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment